Friday, December 2, 2011

Get to Know...Elaine Fong


There’s a new face in the Campbell Church office! Peggy Cross has retired after 15 years of service to the Campbell church and has been replaced by Elaine Fong.

“I was raised in Castro Valley, which is about 20 minutes south-east of Oakland. I grew up with my big sister, Laura, in the house that my mom, Carol, still lives in. Living on a dead end street next to a park, we happily never had a shortage of cats and other critters.”

Elaine is married to Caleb Fong, grandson of Lorin and Peggy Cross and the son of our missionaries in China, Billy and Debi Fong. They were married in September, 2008, and live in Fremont. “Caleb and I met at San Francisco State University in a painting class. We started dating in 2004 and both graduated in 2006.”

Elaine is an accomplished painter! She graduated Cum Laude with an art degree in painting, and works in acrylics. You can see some of her work on her website at www.consoletocanvas.com.

“When I'm not painting, I like to spend my free time with family, playing video games, watching movies, and enjoying California.”

Elaine has a wonderful story of finding her faith here at the Campbell Church. “I come from a non-Christian background, and I remember feeling very intimidated coming to church the first time. That feeling quickly went away as I walked in and was greeted by so many kind, open people. I love that Campbell is a church of real people, and so many are willing to be open and transparent. As a true California girl, I greatly enjoy the diversity of the Bay Area. It means so much to me that Campbell embraces the place I love, and is such an integral part of it. It's so great to see so many people using their diverse talents for good! I've made some really awesome, true friendships here, and feel blessed to be a contributing part of this community!”

Elaine was baptized by Caleb at Daybreak Camp in 2006 and has been an active member of Campbell Church of Christ since then. You may have seen her helping out in the nursery, at VBS, and as a teacher in the Rock 45 class. “I was honored to be a member of the search committee to find a Young Adult Minister. It was great to have a part in guiding the future of our church, and finding the right person for our young adults, like myself. I enjoy being a part of that ministry now as an involved member of the Fusion Sunday morning class. I just started my new role as the Church Administrative Assistant and am thoroughly loving it! I am truly honored and blessed by the position!”

Please stop by the office, Monday through Friday, and say hello!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...